Friday 27 February 2015

Episode 18: 64 Days on MiniMed 640G: Managing my type 1 diabetes: Week 2 SmartGuard kicking hypos Ass!


Welcome to the 2 week review of my 64 days experience of MiniMed 640G with SmartGuard.

 

See the video for full details but the highlights are here:

 

1.      SmartGuard prevented 2-3 hypos independently with no alarms! Lots of overnight hypos avoided! Another week of full sleep boom, see the three overnight examples!

 
 
 

 

2.       Smart guard prevented nocturnal  hypo after drinking wine see: http://www.mm640g.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/smartguard-works-with-red-wine-check.html

 

3.      Enlite accuracy improved from 15% in week 1 to 11% in week 2 following the 7 top tips: with 80% spent in target of 3.5 – 9.0mmol/l: http://www.mm640g.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/improve-enlite-accuracy-7-tops-tips.html

 

 

4.       SmartGuard works at its best:

a.       Overnight when only basal insulin in play causing hypos and no rebound hypers!

b.      2hrs post meal when bolus insulin is diminishing

 

5.      SmartGuard could not prevent hypos when over bloused in two hours post bolus.
 
 
6. When SmartGuard has worked a couple of times pre-meal there maybe a risk of post-meal highs. See the first graph when pre-lunch there has been very little suspend so a good amount of basal present pre-lunch bolus and no post-meal rise. The second graph shows two suspends pre lunch (great as hypo avoided) but  very little basal pre-lunch bolus and consequent post-meal rise. Therefore at meals when I look back and see the orange shaded area pre-meal I will add a bit extra onto the bolus!
 
 
 
 

 

6.       Change of SmartGuard setting required - See my shady diagram!

a.       Overnight set at 3.0 so MiniMed 640G will prevent going lower than 4.1 (1.1. above) – alarms off

b.      Two hours post-meal set at 3.4 (keep above 4.5) – alarms on to warm as may need extra carbs

c.       After two hours post meal back to 3.2 (keep above 4.3) – alarms off



7.       VLOGS to come:

a.       Carb counting and fibre using European labelling not US!

b.      Sensor accuracy explained – WTF is MARD?

c.       My top tips for getting Better Control
 
Enjoy your weekends!

 

3 comments:

  1. I am not clear on where you accuracy numbers come from. When you say above that "Enlite accuracy improved from 15% in week 1 to 11% in week 2 following the 7 top tips", where do the "15%" & "11%" come from? I am always trying to get a more quantitative feel for how well my sensor SGs are tracking with my meter BGs. If this info is available from Carelink I have not figured out how to get at it. Or are you using some other tool to crunch your numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi john,

    If you upload to Carelink personal then go to sensor daily overlay and the MAD is in the middle of the page. I am planning on doing a VLOG on sensor accuracy soon. Hope this helps. Thanks for watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice a VLOG on sensor accuracy, so either I missed it ... definitely possible ... or actual life has intervened. If the later, then perhaps later? After cricket? ;)
      Oh ... that reminds me. If you play cricket outside, as I expect, then maybe also a quick word or two about what working with the 640G color screen outside is like. I can't seem to find anyone talking about that. Maybe it's the weather?

      Delete